It’s time to harvest the kindness of mother nature and lock this goodness into jars for colder times. I remember vividly my early childhood memories and the love I had for my grandma’s jams, with strawberry being a family favourite due to the summer abundance provided by my grandfather’s organic strawberry fields.
The fields were far from the road and hidden among the forests so we enjoyed delicious, pollution free natural beauties for several weeks. However, one fact remained true that my loving, but rather traditional, grandma added sugar, and plenty of it too. Well, that’s how it was always done. Of course, in those days, sugar was not consumed in such large quantities as it is today, with unhealthy dosages found in almost all modern foods. As you know by now, I avoid refined sugar at all times; I’d go so far as saying that I do not use it at all.
Nowadays, I enjoy making sweets which are not only delicious but also full of goodness. So if I told you that I’d found a novel and purely natural way to make delicious sweets which are full of taste, health and goodness without refined sugar, would you try it? By the way, I don’t take no for an answer – because I care for your health!
Here you are, my Vegan Plum & Dates Gluten & Sugar Free Jam, a “miracle treasure”. For me, this is just a perfect partner, a sweet, a natural snack for other foods like morning cereal, pancakes, or as a spread for bread. I am loving it!
- time: preparation about 30 minutes; Cooking about 30 minutes depending on how much water is in the fruit
- difficulty: easy
- diet: plant-based/vegan; Sugar free, gluten and gelatine and free of other artificial things
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 kg plums (renkloda ulena)
- 0.5 kg of dates
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 2 tablespoons linseed (ground or not – according to your preference)
- I remove the seeds from the dates, put them into a bowl, pour hot water and set aside for 15 minutes until they soften
- I wash, remove the seeds and cut the plums into small pieces
- I reach for the pot and pour some water to cover the bottom, throw the plums in and add the xylitol; stir often using a wooden spoon
- I add the prepared dates and flaxseed to the cooking plums and cook for 30 minutes
- Finally, when cooked I transfer it into the previously washed jars. I immediately close the jars and turn them upside down
- The jars should close properly, if not, then boil them for 15 minutes in a pot filled half way with water under the lid