Paparajotes The Sweet Lemon Leaves Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free. In a few hours from now, we will be celebrating the so called “Fat Thursday” in Poland. This is the day when my fellow Poles eat crazy amounts of yummy donuts! Yes, a lot! Right now, this second, this minute, there will be a revolution happening in the kitchens with everyone busy making donuts. Just so you know, the reason why we have this crazy day is because traditionally, it is like the last treat before the Lent (Lent is the time before Easter when in old days people fasted due to their religious beliefs).
I myself never made donuts – I left it to the experts who liked baking with yeast. So what did I do to be different? Well, I added a little twist to the Fat Thursday and instead of donuts, I made PAPARAJOTES! Excuse me? Yes, a little bit of Spanish influence and using aromatic lemons!
What would I do without them my Spanish friends! So many interesting things I learn from them. So what is PAPARAJOTES? Well, this delicacy comes from Murcia. And I learned about it from my friend Laura, who was born in Murcia and knows the secrets to all these local delicacies. Laura Muchísimas Gracias! I’d love to visit your lemon farm one day! This sophisticated delicacy is very lemony, well I would be surprised if it wasn’t because at the end of the day, Murcia is famous for it’s lemon trees.
PAPARAJOTES are baked lemon tree leaves previously immersed in a cinnamony-lemony mixture. As for me, wow! However, my name would not be Daria if I wasn’t to add a pinch of my love to this traditional recipe. So this time, I made it vegan. On top of using that horrible refined sugar I keep telling you to avoid, I used Xylitol. Effectively Fat Thursday becomes “not-so-Fat Thursday”. Will my beloved fellow Poles forgive me that? I am in heaven after all! Here you are: Paparajotes The Sweet Lemon Leaves Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free.
- time 30 minutes
- difficulty easy
- diet without wheat, eggs, dairy products, sugar (vegan)
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup of chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 cup plant milk
- 3 tablespoons of flaxseed (ground) + 6 tablespoons of hot water – vegan egg
- 1 cup of xylitol (healthy sugar)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or vodka (stops absorbing oil)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (I used gluten free)
- 20 leaves of lemon tree
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- rapeseed oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- First I wash and dry the lemon leaves
- Next I put flaxseed into a mug and add 6 tablespoons of hot water, allow it to stand for 5 minutes
- I put into a blender both flours (chickpeas and rye) and baking powder, mix a few seconds. Then I add the milk, 1/2 cup xylitol, vinegar (or vodka), lemon zest and vegan egg. Mix all and the ready made mixture is poured into the bowl
- I’m preparing medium pot (and now for the scary bit), fill up the pot halfway with oil! Yes we will deep fry it – but only because it is Fat Thursday!
- Then, each leave dip into a mixture and deep-fry for a few seconds on each side. They fry very quickly after a few seconds on each side they are ready
- The fried leaves put on a plate optionally you can covered with paper cloths. Leave them to cool
- The remaining 1/2 cup xylitol grind to get the powder and sprinkle it all over the cool PAPARAJOTES
Enjoy! And I know you will.