Grilled Potatoes and Peppers with Guacamole Vegan & Gluten Free. The idea of making a healthy yet delicious dinner is apparently quite a challenge nowadays. Although I openly admit I don’t eat potatoes very often, they do still have a special place in my heart. Yes, I AM talking about this ordinary, and for many, not a very exciting vegetable, which is in fact served in a traditional Polish cuisine almost every single day. Should I also mention Irish too?
Potatoes are special to me probably because I associate them with beautiful experiences and memories of my childhood. So to keep the story short…as a child I helped my dear grandfather to collect them from the fields. I had the opportunity to see many big trailers arriving and potatoes being taken away to feed many people. This treasured experience built my awareness of where food comes from; the sheer amount of hard work, effort and time required in cultivating this humble quality food. I now understand why quality costs. I wish everybody could have these kinds of memorable experiences. I’m convinced we would respect food much more and always thinking twice before overbuying, stuffing the fridges and then finally but sadly, throwing it away. Such a waste…
Back to the recipe…some argue that grilling vegetables is not healthy, that it’s similar to frying. Reason: during frying and grilling, unhealthy substances are produced. I won’t deny it and I would go so far as to say, I do believe it – based on solid research. However, let’s not get too crazy. As with most things, doing things in moderation in my opinion is the key to regular health. It is worth wrapping the vegetables into baking paper (try to avoid aluminium foil). To retain their earthly goodness, try not to over-grill the veggies. Now the recipe!
- time 30 minutes
- difficulty easy
- diet without gluten, dairy, sugar, yeast (vegan recipe)
- 1 portion
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 green peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic (per person but don’t hesitate grilling the entire head)
- small ripe avocado or 1/2 large
- 1 small ripe tomato
- 1/3 medium size onion
- green olives
- olive oil
- sea or Himalayan salt
- black pepper
- I warm up the grill (you can use the oven, but it takes a bit longer)
- I wash the potatoes well then slice them into half a centimetre slices, sprinkle with rosemary and drizzle with few drops of rapeseed oil or virgin coconut oil. Next, I wrap them in baking paper and place on the preheated hot grill
- I wash the peppers, dry and condenses rapeseed oil or coconut. I wrap in baking paper and also put on the hot grill. I also grill the whole unpeeled head of garlic
- While the vegetables grill, get down to preparing the guacamole. Half the avocado, get rid of the seed. The flesh of the avocado put into a bowl and crush with a fork
- I wash the tomato and blend it, then add it to the prepared avocado. Next I peel and slice the onion into small cubes and add them to the avocados. Finally I mix everything together, add a pinch of salt and my quacamole is ready
- Checking vegetables, they should be ready and beautifully grilled. Can you smell it? Amazing!
- As for the garlic peel the skin off – the sweetness and delicate taste of it will absolutely surprise you
- Now grab a funky plate and arrange the humble veggies nicely on a plate, pour the olive oil, add salt and black pepper, add the olives (optional here), and serve you with deliciously nutritious homemade guacamole. My mouth is going mad just writing about it!