Aubergines Stuffed with Lemony Quinoa Vegan and Gluten Free. Serve me Organic Aubergines, stuffed with lemony quinoa, all of it vegan and gluten free, and I am in heaven! Yes, I certainly do adore the taste of aubergines. Yum. For me, when they are perfectly cooked, that melting process happening in the mouth with each bite is like being in heaven itself (wherever that is and whatever that means for you).
My preference is to roast these delicacies and combine them with garlic, a bit like Baba Ghanoush or sometimes Moussaka. These famous international examples are based on roasted and finely chopped aubergines. However, the idea for today’s recipe has a family twist, quite an entertaining story for you, came about thanks to my mum. Yes, my mum could not stand the taste of roasted/blended or finely chopped aubergines. This is because the consistency you achieve with them made my mum think she was eating, wait for it, snails, yes snails. I don’t mean this to be an offence to those who prefer eating these slippery crustrations, but she doesn’t. In fact, mum has never even tried them but insists this is how they would taste!
So for poor me, so in love with these humble veggies I had no clue how to encourage mum to eat them. Then I had a light bulb moment and thought ‘hold on a second! Mum loves stuffed cabbage and vine leaves, so why not make stuffed aubergines’. Guess what? It worked. Mum was hooked and I had convinced her. Phew. Nowadays, anytime I ask her advice on what to make for dinner, her first reply is ‘why not make aubergines today!’ Amazing and priceless feeling. I’m so proud (and glad) that I now have a family of aubergine lovers. I am only left with you to try and tell me what you think of it. Can I convince you too? I hope so… Aubergines Stuffed with Lemony Quinoa Vegan and Gluten Free.
- time 30 mins prep and 1 hour in the oven
- difficulty medium
- diet plant based/vegan, no sugar, no gluten/wheat, nuts, dairy
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 chunky aubergines
- a cup of boiled quiona
- 1 lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- himalayan salt or sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 spoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of tomato pasata
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil
- I start by washing aubergines. Next, I dry them and very slowly and carefully slice them into long slices, about half a cm thick
- In a separate bowl I add boiled quinoa (it is very simple to boil it, in hot salted water for about 15 minutes, you can always check on the packaging)
- Into the quinoa bowl I add 3 cloves of grated garlic, freshly squeezed lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt and mix it all well
- Next I heat up the oven to 200°C. I prepare a baking tray, sprinkle it with a little bit of oil and a few drops of water
- Now time to stuff those delicacies! This is a bit tricky, so be extra patient here. What I do is I use 2 slices of aubergines to make one roll. I place the first slice, then using a tablespoon add the prepared quinoa and role it, and then with the second slice I roll it the opposite side to the roller, so the aim is to stop the stuffing getting out. Each stuffed aubergine I transfer onto the baking tray, putting them one next to another
- When I’ve finished the stuffing I pour all this deliciously nutritious, amazingly looking delicacies into the oven and bake for about an hour. After 30 minutes I lower the temperature to 180°C
- When baked, I chop finely the fresh leaves of basil and sprinkle over, together with few drops of good quality olive oil and black pepper!
Need I say more?
Sharing is caring, so you if I could ask for your help to share this good for the body and soul recipe with your loved ones and your friends my heart will be utterly grateful.